Tuesday 7 March 2017

Suspended Education

I have recently started studying for Actuaries exams and have decided to study it exactly the way I want to, rather than how I'm expected to. In the process, Im trying to use many tools other than what is conventionally available to me. So I try to connect, extrapolate, go back to history(my subjects are math and stats)
In the process I realised that how suspended our education is. I have always been very vocal about my dislike, actually hate for our education system, the mainstream Indian Education; because of its pointlessness and meaninglessness. Nor is connected to origin, neither to effect. By this I mean that neither does it explain where a particular topic or subject comes from (origin) or why you should learn it and how you can use it(effect). Its just some random suspended piece of Information lying in the air. We are beings who work on connection, especially to remember things. So it won't ever permanently become a part of us, this education. And then we wonder why is there no value addition inspite of so much education.
But an interesting insight I got is that even western education (by which I mean UK, USA and the likes, whose education is highly marketed, there might be other western countries doing it differently) is partially suspended, in the sense that it is connected to effect, but not to origin. What I mean is that you know how and where to use what you are studying, but you do not understand where it is coming from, the intuition and organic understanding is lacking. In this process we can forget about it if we get out of touch in using it.
I feel true education, the most powerful empowerment will happen if understanding of both origin and effect, of whatever you are learning, become a part of the system. 

1 comment:

  1. So true. Year after year schools colleges universities churn out students doling out certificates with children literally learning nothing. What you say about the " effect " of western education being so different to ours is probably because of the high cost of higher education there so it has to be made effective. Fully agree with your view on our education being incomplete and inconclusive.

    ReplyDelete

HABIT

It is so easy to slip Into that structured slide That we have created to Survive Could be of comfort Of routine Of self pity, of num...